- dried fruit snacks such as fruit roll ups
- whole grapes and cherry tomatoes (cut in half lengthwise if serving)
- hard, round candies: gumdrops, jelly beans, marshmallows, chewing gum
- pretzels, nuts, seeds, popcorn
- hotdogs (sliced in rounds); chunks of meat larger than what can be swallowed whole (also cut in half lengthwise if serving since sliced rounds can get stuck and cause a child to choke)
- peanut butter should be spread thinly and not given as a lump on a spoon to lick
Prevent choking accidents altogether by not serving the foods above to children under the age of 4 years old.